We Filipinos deeply love our barbecues and grilled Tiempo, often enjoyed in our backyards. However, if you lack the outdoor space for an “ihawan” or grill, there’s a convenient solution—get yourself a grill pan! This kitchen tool is your ticket to achieving that smoky and caramelized flavor without the complexities of setting up a traditional grill.
Grill pans are fantastic alternatives for those without access to outdoor grilling spaces. But faced with numerous options, how do you decide which one to purchase?
In this article, we’re here to assist you in selecting the best grill pan Philippines to meet your culinary needs, offering a comprehensive buying guide. Furthermore, we’ve handpicked a selection of the six finest grill pans available. Keep reading to uncover all the details!
Top 6 Grill Pans Available in the Philippines
We’ve scoured the market to present the creme de la creme of grill pans. Here are the top 6 grill pans in the Philippines, ensuring superior performance and deliciously grilled dishes.
Best Cast Iron Grill Pan Philippines
- Price: ₱1,299
- Material: Cast Iron
- Diameter: 26cm
- Stove Compatibility: Gas stove, oven-safe, induction base
- Exceptional heat resistance and even heating
- Pre-seasoned for immediate use
- Versatile for stovetop and oven cooking
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Heavier compared to other materials.
- Not non-stick
Suppose you’re a fan of cast iron cookware. In that case, you’ll undoubtedly admire the outstanding performance and lasting durability of the Chef’s Classics Cast Iron Square Grill Pan.
This die-cast iron body grill pan from Chef’s Classics is not only budget-friendly but also impressively even in heating, adept at searing, and generously sized. Its extended handle adds to its practicality, allowing for easy one-handed maneuvering.
This versatile masterpiece excels in pan-frying, sautéing, browning, and stovetop searing and seamlessly transitions into your oven for many cooking applications.
With a thoughtful design featuring a pouring lip for fat drainage and a convenient handle loop for hanging, this pan offers functionality and aesthetics.
Best Non-stick Grill Pan Philippines
- Price: ₱2,995
- Material: Aluminum
- Diameter: 26cm
- Stove Compatibility: with all hobs
- Unique Chef de France decoration for an elegant touch
- Thermo-Spot system for precise temperature control
- Powerglide coating for extended non-stick performance
- Comfortable ergonomic grip handle
- Lightweight for easy handling
- Non-stick coatings wear out with use.
- Not compatible with induction cooktops.
Crafted in France by the renowned cookware manufacturer Tefal, this grill pan is a fantastic choice, especially for those new to grilling and cooking.
What sets it apart is the Thermo-Spot, a prominent heat indicator situated at the center of the pan. This clever feature turns a vivid shade of red, serving as an unmistakable signal that the pan has reached the ideal temperature for cooking.
Furthermore, it incorporates advanced Powerglide non-stick technology, ensuring an exceptionally smooth glide when maneuvering your food. Bid farewell to the frustration of food remnants clinging to the pan’s surface.
Adding to its appeal, the pan boasts a lengthy handle with an ergonomic grip for comfortable use. These attributes make it a top choice for grilling novices, delivering a hassle-free and enjoyable cooking experience.
Best Heavy-duty Grill Pan
- Price: ₱1,999
- Material: Non-Stick, Aluminium
- Size: 60x27cm
- Stove Compatibility: gas stoves, oven-safe, induction cooker
- Dual-sided design for versatility in cooking techniques
- Scratch-resistant Ilag non-stick coating for easy cleaning
- Die-cast body for efficient heat distribution
- Foldable handles for compact storage
- Large size
Chef’s Classics is synonymous with trust and reliability in cookware. When crafting quality products, they consistently deliver excellence you can rely on. The Chef’s Classics Caper Non-Stick Grill Pan is a heavyweight contender in the best heavy-duty grill pans.
On one side, you’ll find a flat surface ideal for a wide range of frying techniques, while the other boasts a grill perfect for creating those coveted grill marks on steaks and meats. This pan effortlessly combines functionality and convenience. It boasts a scratch-resistant Ilag non-stick coating, ensuring easy cooking and cleaning.
The die-cast body ensures quick and even heat distribution, while ergonomic riveted bakelite handles enhance comfort and control. Its ridged surface delivers those mouthwatering char grill marks, and foldable handles allow for effortless storage. Plus, it’s compatible with induction cooktops, making it a versatile addition to your kitchen.
Best Samgyupsal Grill Pan
- Price: ₱1,195
- Material: Stainless steel
- Stove Compatibility: For all types of gas stoves
- Easy to operate and clean
- Double-layered design for superior heat efficiency
- Suitable for all types of gas stoves
- A portable high-quality stove included
- There is no attached draining pan
- Incompatible with induction cooktop
The Samgyupsal Rectangle Grill Pan is a standout contender for Best Samgyupsal Grill Pan in the Philippines. This indoor grill is simple and easy to use, making it perfect for BBQ and Samgyupsal lovers.
Its high-quality craftsmanship ensures both durability and performance. The quadruple PTFE (Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene) coating promotes natural heat discharge and automatic oil exhaustion. At the same time, the double-layered design enhances heat efficiency.
It’s a versatile choice compatible with various gas stoves available in the market, making cooking a breeze. Additionally, it comes with a portable high-quality stove, complete with a safety feature that automatically ejects butane gas and shuts off when irregular flow is detected.
Best Premium Grill Pan Philippines
- Price: ₱4,899
- Material: 4-layer diamond non-stick + Magnetic handles
- Diameter: 30cm
- Stove Compatibility: Gas stove, electro and glass ceramic
- Versatile in compatibility
- PFOA-free for safety
- Smart oil tray for a clean cooktop
- Strong magnetic handles for added pressure
- High price
For those with the budget for a luxurious culinary experience, why not indulge in Happycall? Their grill pan boasts a 4-layer diamond non-stick coating, elevating durability and offering unmatched corrosion resistance.
While it commands a higher price tag than other options in this selection, you can rest assured that you’re investing in a top-tier product from a brand that sets the gold standard for quality.
Importantly, it’s PFOA-free, making it a safe choice for your kitchen. The special silicon gasket is a game-changer, as it adeptly retains heat and moisture, locking in flavors and juiciness.
Moreover, the smart oil tray keeps your cooktop pristine, minimizing cleanup. Strong magnetic handles not only enhance pressure inside the pan but also add a touch of convenience.
Best Affordable Grill Pan Philippines
- Price: ₱899
- Material: Super-conductive die-cast aluminum
- Diameter: 36cm
- Stove Compatibility: Gas Stovetop
- Versatile cooking
- Long-lasting performance
- It looks a bit flimsy
Introducing the versatile double-sided pressure grill pan from Dessini, designed to cater to your diverse cooking needs, whether grilling, frying, or stewing.
This pan guarantees long-lasting performance, is crafted from super-conductive die-cast aluminum material, and features top-quality Xylon ceramic with a non-stick marble coating.
Its bakelite handles are thoughtfully designed to provide ample distance from the heat source, ensuring safety during use.
Its closed design sets this pan apart, effectively locking in heat, steam, and nutrition simultaneously. It doubles as a pressure cooker, distributing heat evenly to save time and energy. The result? Meats that boast a delightful crispiness on the outside while retaining their moisture and juiciness on the inside. It’s the ultimate tool to impress your friends and family with culinary prowess!
What is a Grill Pan?
A grill pan is a versatile kitchen tool designed to mimic the effects of outdoor grilling on a stovetop. It features ridges that help achieve those coveted grill marks and allow excess fat to drip away from the food.
Grill pans resemble frying pans but have distinct characteristics. They typically have an angular or square shape, a pouring spout, and prominently, parallel ridges evenly spaced about half an inch apart, rising about ⅕ of an inch from the pan’s bottom.
Grill pans are particularly well-suited for Filipino cuisine, where the taste of a perfectly grilled dish is deeply cherished.
Types Grill Pan
Grill pans come in various types, each with its own set of characteristics and suitability for different cooking needs in the Philippines:
Grill Pan Type
Natural Cast-Iron Grill Pan
Exceptional heat retention and distribution, perfect for grill marks and smoky flavors.
Ideal for high-heat Filipino cooking.
Requires regular seasoning.
Heavier than other options.
Aluminum Grill Pan
Lightweight, heat up quickly, ensures even cooking.
Typically more affordable.
Ideal for quicker cooking.
Less effective heat retention.
Non-stick coatings may wear off.
Electric Grill Pan
Convenient for indoor grilling; no stovetop required.
Adjustable temperature control.
Suitable for apartments or spaces without outdoor grills.
It may not achieve smoky flavors.
Limited size compared to outdoor grills.
Non-Stick Grill Pan
Easy to clean, minimal oil or butter needed.
Food is less likely to stick, ideal for delicate items.
Non-stick coatings can wear out.
Metal utensils can damage the coating.
Each grill pan type has unique advantages, and the choice depends on your cooking preferences and available resources. To explore electric grills further, refer to our review post.
How to Choose the Best Grill Pan Philippines
Navigating the diverse options available for grill pans can be overwhelming. To simplify your decision-making process, we have compiled essential tips on choosing a high-quality grill pan in the Philippines.
Grill pans are typically crafted from materials like cast iron, stainless steel, and cast aluminum, each with its characteristics:
- Cast Iron: Best for thick cuts of meat due to its ability to handle high heat. It is ideal for cooking steaks and burgers but might require proper seasoning to prevent sticking with delicate foods.
- Stainless Steel and Cast Aluminum: Lighter options suitable for delicate meats like fish. They feature a non-stick surface. However, they are not recommended for high-heat cooking as it can impact their non-stick properties.
Grill pans typically come around 10 to 11 inches, providing ample space for grilling four to five small hamburgers.
A smaller size may suffice if you need less space for one to two people. On the other hand, for larger gatherings, consider a double burner grill pan, which spans two stovetop burners, offering more grilling area.
Most grill pans in the market are square, primarily for their generous surface area. That ensures that your food can be cooked in a single layer, which is crucial for grilling. However, round grill pans have advantages, such as more heating than square pans, which can have uneven heat distribution around the edges and corners.
Some grill pans even come with reversible sides, featuring one side with ridges for grilling and another with a smooth surface for griddling.
In the Philippines, the cost of the finest grill pans varies between ₱ 700 and ₱ 5,000, influenced by the brand and the specific model you choose.
When choosing a grill pan, it’s essential to consider your cooking needs and preferences to find the right balance between price and performance.
How to Use a Grill Pan Effectively
Using a grill pan effectively involves a few key steps to ensure your food turns out delicious and perfectly grilled:
Step 1: Preheating and Seasoning the Pan
Before cooking, preheat your grill pan on medium-high heat for a few minutes. That ensures even cooking and those coveted grill marks.
- Apply a thin layer of cooking oil to the cooking surface for cast iron grill pans before heating. That helps maintain the pan’s seasoning and prevents sticking.
- For non-stick grill pans, you can lightly grease them with oil or cooking spray, but be cautious not to overdo it, as non-stick surfaces require less oil.
Step 2: Cooking Tips for Different Types of Grill Pans
- Cast Iron Grill Pan: Place your food on the hot grill ridges once preheated. For even cooking, avoid overcrowding the pan, which can trap steam and prevent proper searing. Flip the food periodically to ensure uniform grill marks.
- Non-Stick Grill Pan: Non-stick grill pans are great for delicate foods like fish and vegetables. Use lower to medium heat to prevent damage to the non-stick coating. Ensure the pan is adequately preheated before adding food for the best results.
- Aluminum Grill Pan: Aluminum grill pans heat up quickly. Use medium-high heat and ensure the pan is well-oiled to prevent sticking. You may need to flip your food more frequently to achieve even cooking.
Safety Precautions When Using Grill Pans
Ensuring cooking safety should be a top priority when using kitchen equipment, including grill pans. Below are some key safety precautions when utilizing your grill pan for delightful, worry-free cooking experiences.
- Always use oven mitts or heat-resistant gloves when handling a hot grill pan.
- Be cautious of hot grease splatters while cooking, and use a splatter guard if needed.
- Keep children and pets away from the hot stove and grill pan.
- After cooking, allow the grill pan to cool before cleaning to avoid burns.
How to Clean and Maintain the Grill Pan Properly
Keeping your grill pan clean and well-maintained isn’t just about appearance – it directly affects the effectiveness of your cooking. In the following section, we will guide you through essential tips on cleaning and maintaining your grill pan properly for sustained high performance.
To keep your grill pan in optimal condition, follow these essential tips:
- Immediate Cleaning: Let the grill pan cool slightly but not completely after use. Avoid soaking it in water, which can harm the seasoning or non-stick coating.
- Gentle Scrubbing: Use a non-abrasive scrubbing pad or a soft-bristle brush to remove any food residue. Steer clear of steel wool or harsh scouring pads that can damage the surface.
- Mild Detergent: Use a mild dishwashing detergent and warm water to clean the pan. Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners that harm the seasoning or non-stick coating.
- Avoid Dishwashers: Refrain from putting your grill pan in the dishwasher. The high water pressure and detergents can damage the surface and seasoning.
- Seasoning Maintenance (for Cast Iron): Maintain the cast iron grill pan’s seasoning by applying a thin layer of cooking oil after each use. Heat the pan for a few minutes, allowing the oil to penetrate and protect the surface.
- Dry Thoroughly: After cleaning, dry the grill pan completely to prevent rust from cast iron or water spots for other materials.
- Storage: Store your grill pan in a dry place. Consider placing a paper towel or cloth between stacked pans to prevent scratching.
- For cast iron grill pans, consider using a chainmail scrubber, which is effective at removing stubborn food residue without harming the seasoning.
- Flaxseed oil is an excellent choice for maintaining cast iron seasoning.
- Opt for mild dishwashing detergent, warm water, and non-abrasive scrubbing tools for materials like aluminum or non-stick-coated pans.
- Microfiber cloths are also useful for drying and preventing water spots.
Cast iron and non-stick surfaces are common materials. If you value versatility and durability and don’t mind a bit of maintenance, cast iron is an excellent choice. If you prefer lightweight and convenience, aluminum or hard-anodized aluminum with non-stick coatings might be preferable. Non-stick coatings are great for easy cooking and cleaning but may need replacement over time.
High-end grill pans often offer superior durability, advanced features, and precise heat control, making them valuable for serious grill enthusiasts. However, budget options can serve well for occasional use or if you’re on a tight budget.
It depends on the pan’s compatibility; some work with all types, while others are specific.
You can use an outdoor barbecue grill, charcoal, gas, or electric to impart smoky flavors. Oven broiling is another option for indoor cooking; place food on a broiler pan and adjust the oven rack for desired doneness.
Grill pans are designed for indoor stovetop use. For the true outdoor grilling experience, use dedicated outdoor grills like charcoal, gas, or electric grills designed for that purpose. They’re designed to handle the open-air environment and provide an authentic outdoor grilling experience.
You can grill various dishes, from vegetables to meats and seafood, adding that delightful charred flavor.
In your journey to find the best grill pan in the Philippines, remember that it’s not just a kitchen tool but a gateway to unlocking the flavors of Filipino cuisine. Whether you prefer cast iron for its authenticity or a non-stick pan for convenience, the right grill pan can make all the difference.
Our comprehensive exploration has led to Hometoppicks’ standout choices – the Chef’s Classics Cast Iron Square Grill Pan and the Tefal Essential Chef de France Non-stick Grill Pan. These exceptional selections combine top-notch performance, durability, and user satisfaction, making them the ultimate choices for elevating your cooking experience.
Explore your options, consider your cooking needs, and savor the joy of creating delicious Filipino dishes with your new grill pan. Happy grilling!